Henry Warner Hip Resurfacing Day 5

Henry Warner continues to make pretty satisfying progress.  At this point I am generally self-sufficient.  I can get in and out of bed by myself and dress/undress myself.  Two tools that help are a “reacher” tool that lets you grab items and a “sock slider” tool that lets you put a sock on your operated foot unassisted.

Today I walked slightly over a mile inside the house.  I measured off a route that was 260 feet long by weaving in and out of various rooms.  I completed 25 laps of this course.  As part of the course was through the laundry room, I would place a dog food kernel on the counter every time I passed through as a lap counter.  Anyone who has ever run laps or swam pool lengths knows what I am talking about.  It’s easy to lose track otherwise.

I strapped-on my iPod and headset, tuned in to my French language course and started walking using one crutch under my non-operated side.  I quickly found out that I could walk while placing very little load on the crutch.  I basically had no load on the armpit-rest and only used a few fingers on the crutch handle.  I estimate that I was only applying about 10 pounds of force to the handle.  I even took a few steps holding the crutch off the floor entirely.  I was sort of using the crutch as a cane, rather than a crutch.  This seems amazing to me that I can walk this well after only a few days since the operation!

I did notice, though, that my operated leg tended to want to turn inwards while I was walking.  I had to consciously force it outwards (pigeon toe) in order to have my foot end up in a straight path alignment.  This does not seem very serious to me, as it was a relatively low level of effort, but at the end of the walk the knee of my operated leg felt tired.  After finishing the walk, I sat in the recliner and iced my knee and hip.  After about a half an hour, I got up and was definitely somewhat stiff.  The stiffness quickly wore off, but I took it as a good sign that my walk had slightly challenged my muscles.

At this point, I have not experienced the pinching feeling at all since the first day home from the hospital.  I still am experiencing the “clunking” sensation, but even that seems to be somewhat improved/less frequent.  My general walking/resting pain level is quite low to non-existent.  It is still painful, however, to try to do a leg raise movement.  There is yet very little strength in the leg for that motion.

Day 5 – Henry Warner on stationary bike trainer

I took about a half hour nap around 1:00 PM, then got up and did some computer work.  About 5:00 PM, I decided to give my stationary trainer bike a try.  I was able to change into my riding shorts and mount the trainer without any assistance.  My wife was on the phone while I was doing this and she rushed into the the workout room after her call and gave me a disapproving look.  But she did agree to snap the picture!

I had to be careful mounting the bike.  I would normally mount it from the left side like a horse, but I didn’t want to try to swing my operated (right) leg over the seat.  So I braced myself on the right side of the bike with the single crutch (pictured) and swung my left (good) leg over the seat.  I then clipped-in my left foot, sat down, rotated the pedals a half turn to have the right pedal close to the ground, then gingerly clipped my right shoe into the pedal.  I didn’t want to take the chance of a slip, so I took my time, but had no issues.

I then started to turn the crank by applying force with only my left (good) leg – just letting the operated leg go along for the ride.  But I discovered after just one revolution that there was absolutely no pain or discomfort.  It felt great!  I got a little bolder and started to apply force with both legs, albeit a lower amount with my right leg.  But after a couple of minutes I was spinning the pedals with a pretty even force distribution at a cadence of about 45 RPM.  I only did the trainer for a total of ten minutes and did not work up a sweat.  The whole intent was to just let my hip move through the pedaling motion at a therapeutic level.

I carefully dismounted then showered.  Not bad for less than five full days from the time Henry Warner was on the operating table!

This entry was posted in Henry Warner Hip Resurfacing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply